Monday, November 2

Musing Mondays | November 2

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm.
You are invited to answer one of the prompts as well as the random question of the week.


In the past week I bought Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, which I am currently reading. 
After some deliberation I decided to go ahead and acquire the Barnes and Noble Leather Bound edition to add to my pitiful collection of currently 2 volumes of their rapidly growing list of beautiful collectable books. I hope to buy some more leather bound books in the future though, my life won't be complete without the entire collection!


THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION
Have you ever chosen a book mostly because of its cover art and then regretted it because the content didn't live up to your expectations?
Yes, I have. Most recently it happened with September Girls by Bennett Madison. The cover art is absolutely striking. I picked it up knowing nothing about it except that it somehow involved mermaids but I should've known it was going to be a disappointment based solely on its 2.96 average rating on Goodreads. The first chapter wasn't so bad, I was enjoying the main character's playfulness, but it all went downhill from there. I didn't connect with any of the characters and found the plot very dull and unsatisfying. I'm one of those readers who force themselves to finish a book even if they're loathing the content. In the end, I gave it 2 stars. A major disappointment. However, it still won't prevent me from, in the future, choosing books because of their cover art.


Have you ever read September Girls?
Are Bennet Madison's other books more captivating?

6 comments:

  1. So sorry...I hate when that happens! I had a disappointing book last week, with a cover I liked and a premise that should have delivered. But didn't.

    Here is my MONDAY MUSINGS POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Laurel :)
      It is not the first time I was disappointed by a book. When it happens I keep reading and, in the end, I always try to find a reason to give it at least 3 stars: a fluid writing style, a certain well-structured character, a surprising plot twist,... anything that truly moved me. This one was just not for me.

      Delete
  2. I remember how they forced us to read Frankenstein for a history class. But I really enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it so far too. I wouldn't have had minded being "forced" to read it ;)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the overall story of Frankenstein, but it's my favorite classic. I do really love the Barnes N Noble leather bound books though. I really need to purchase some!

    Sorry about September Girls - I have not read it, or anything else by the author. I think it's easy to buy into a book cover though. Sometimes they are just so pretty!

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to catch up on classics, I've read so little of them. 'Frankenstein' is as charming as I hoped it would be. I'm only halfway through but enjoying it profoundly.
      If I lived anywhere near a Barnes and Noble store I would have a bigger collection by now, but living outside the US means either waiting and hoping BookDepository sells the volume I want or paying and extra arm and a leg for international shipping in the B&N online store.

      Delete